Tuesday 26 June 2012

Basil from the garden to make Pesto

Homemade Basil Pesto

This week I finally managed to pick some of my basil and made some pesto it

So So easy to make and taste so much better than shop brought


Also a great way of using up most green veg like


lettuce
Rockett
Broccoli
Parsley
kale,
chard
spinach


It does not take a lot

Basil


To make pesto all you need is

50g (2oz) fresh basil leaves or a mixuture of the above (I had a half empty bag of lettuce in the fridge so I chucked that in as well.
2 crushed garlic cloves
30ml (2tbsp) pine nuts (you could even use 
walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, or pecans)
100ml (4fl oz) virgin olive oil
50g (2oz) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground salt and black pepper
Put the ingredients into a food processor and pulse to blend. Slowly add oil through feed tube until it makes a nice paste.
Keep in the fridge for up to one week. Stir into hot cooked pasta or even  serve as a sauce with grilled fish or chicken.

But I also freeze mine and take it out when I need it.

Summer all year long 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment